Credit Card Insurance

 

Your credit card company may offer it under a variety of names. Credit card protection insurance. Credit Shield. Payment protection. Credit safeguard. But no matter what name it goes by, this insurance aims to provide the cardholder with the same thing: security in case unemployment, injury, disability, or death makes paying your monthly credit card bills impossible. By paying a monthly fee (which vary between issuers), if you should lose your job or become incapacitated, your credit card payments are put on hold and interest is suspended, often for as much as two years. This can help keep your credit rating intact during a rough patch, enabling you to remain in good standing with creditors. But is paying for such a service worthwhile? If you do suffer an unforeseen life event, credit insurance protection can be helpful in preventing your debt from spiraling beyond your control. As with any insurance, credit card insurance needs generally are very specific to a person's life situation.

To understand what your credit card company may offer consider the four major types of credit insurance: life, disability, involuntary unemployment and property. Credit life insurance pays the balance owed on your card when you die, provided the credit card company is named the beneficiary of the insurance. Credit disability insurance covers the minimum payment due on your card for a specified period following a medical disability, with purchases made after you become disabled not covered. Credit involuntary unemployment insurance pays the minimum amount due on your account should you be laid off from work or downsized for a certain length of time, with purchases made after you become unemployed not covered. Credit property insurance may be included with your credit card and usually provides payment for items purchased with the card if the items are damaged or, in some cases, stolen.

With disability and unemployment credit card insurance, a drawback is that the payment made by the insurance is just the minimum monthly payment and often for a very limited time frame. Minimum payments are mostly between 2 percent and 3 percent of your balance, meaning interest will still accrue on the remaining 97 percent to 98 percent of what you owe. If you have more than one credit card, you must purchase separate insurance for each card. Meanwhile, for major illnesses, at the time of the incident you generally must have been employed for a minimum of 20 hours per week. The insurer will sometimes only pay off your minimum payment until a maximum benefit (generally $5,000 to $20,000) is reached or you return to work, whichever happens first.

Before purchasing credit card or any insurance, be aware of exactly what you are getting and what it will cost over time.

The content of this website is informative only. FreeOfDebtUniversity.com does not provide any kind of Legal or Financial Advice.

Copyrightę 2009-2010 SX3 Software, LLC. All rights reserved. Reproduction of any portion of this website is strictly prohibited.